2015年4月23日星期四

Southampton schoolgirl's water bottle spiked with hydrochloric acid

  • Teenager's drink was spiked during GCSE lesson at Hounsdown School
  • Girl immediately given medical treatment by quick thinking teacher 
  • Tests reportedly found low concentration of substance in water bottle
  • Headteacher says two pupils have been temporarily excluded over incident

A schoolgirl's drink was spiked with highly corrosive hydrochloric acid as part of a classroom prank during a science lesson.

The teenager was left needing urgent medical treatment after she unwittingly downed the potentially lethal liquid at the specialist science college.

The girl avoided serious injury from the colourless corrosive substance as a result of the quick thinking actions of staff at Hounsdown School in Southampton, Hampshire

A schoolgirl was left needing medical treatment at Hounsdown School, pictured, after he water bottle was spiked with hydrochloric acid

An investigation was immediately launched into the incident and it was understood that two pupils were spoken to. 

Julie Turvey, Headteacher at Hounsdown School, said: 'The school is taking this matter very seriously and continuing its investigation. A student took a sip from a water bottle into which other students had put a small amount of hydrochloric acid.

'Immediate action was taken to assess the student and the risk of serious harm. First aid treatment was administered and, thankfully, no significant injury was caused and no subsequent medical or hospital treatment was needed.

'The welfare and safety of all pupils attending this school is our priority. We have reported the incident to the Police and two students have been temporarily excluded.'  

The schoolgirl, who is in Year 11,  was understood to have raised the alarm on Tuesday after taking a sip from her drink.

She discovered an unusual taste and smell to the liquid.

The child's science teacher abandoned the lesson while the girl was sent to the school medical room, assessed and given water to drink.

Tests reportedly showed the girl's water bottle had been contaminated with hydrochloric acid (file picture)

Tests reportedly showed the girl's water bottle had been contaminated with hydrochloric acid (file picture)

A group of boys thought to have been 'messing around' in the lesson were later questioned about the incident.

Tests reportedly showed the bottle was contaminated with the substance but that the concentration of the acid was low. 

The schoolgirl, who has not been named, was not thought to have required hospital treatment or suffered any ill effects as a result.   

Hydrochloric acid is a highly corrosive solution of hydrogen chloride and water; and it is clear and colourless, but highly pungent.

It is widely used, including for manufacturing plastic, removing rust from steel, producing leathers, neutralising swimming pools and treating drinking and waste water.

If it contacts the skin it can cause severe burns, ulceration and scarring. 

Hounsdown School is a specialist science college and one of 110 schools in England with teaching school status which allows them to train the teachers of the future. 

In July 2011 it converted to a 'new style' academy, run by a governing body free from local authority control.

It was rated 'good' in its last Ofsted report in 2012 and last year 70 per cent of its 237 year 11 students achieved grade A* to C in English and maths.

They currently have 1215 students aged 11 to 16 on roll. 

The incident was said to have happened during a science lesson at the specialist science college

The incident was said to have happened during a science lesson at the specialist science college



没有评论:

发表评论